[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]If you have ever been on an audio-visual conferencing call where the background noise is practically louder than the people who are speaking, you already understand how distracting and frustrating it can be. Upon hearing similar problems among a variety of users, Poly (formerly Polycom) developed a solution called the Acoustic Fence. It is designed to make a speaker’s voice clearer and unwanted ambient background noise something the listener doesn’t hear.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]
What is an Acoustic Fence and How Does It Work?Most classrooms, boardrooms, or even office spaces are seldom totally quiet when a person is speaking. Even when people are captivated by a speaker and give them their full attention, it is not uncommon to hear the air conditioning kicking on, a copier machine at work, or announcements over a public address system. The problem? All of these things can wreak havoc on effective communication and collaboration during an audio-visual conference call. The purpose of Acoustic Fence is to create a boundary around audio-visual conference call participants so that outside or background noises beyond the conferencing space cannot be heard. This facilitates communication between all users so that conversation can be heard more plainly without unrelated interruption.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]
How Acoustic Fence Can Improve AVIn order for Acoustic Fence to work, a single or series of microphones are provided to participants with the goal of zeroing in specifically on only their voices as they speak directly into it. In addition, there can be one or more reference microphones set up that are intended to capture all the sounds originating outside of the conference call, and Acoustic Fence is designed to cancel those sounds out. This two-prong approach keeps conversation crisp and unencumbered.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]
Benefits to Having an Acoustic Fence in the Classroom and Business OfficeWhile the obvious advantage to utilizing Acoustic Fence technology is the filtering out of unwanted ambient noise that can pollute or hinder communications, there are other benefits as well, including:
- Minimized distractions. Whether it is voices coming through the classroom wall or the sound of a water cooler gurgling next to the cubicle, the person on the receiving end of that communication should not hear it. Acoustic Fence minimizes distractions from affecting the message you are delivering.
- Reduces frustration. Sound that cuts out dramatically when a person is speaking can be extremely frustrating for those intently listening. Many listeners begin to wonder if something is wrong with their technology device or if a cord came unplugged when in reality it is simply the sound of background noise from the speaker’s location that is cancelling out their voice. By using Acoustic Fence, it can dramatically reduce these noise-related frustrations.
- Increased focus. The absence of distractions and frustration allows people on the call to focus more intently on the words and messages being clearly spoken. This can be particularly critical for a teacher reaching out to remote students or for a business meeting taking place near a fire station where sirens can be frequently blaring.
- Time savings. A call in which all communicators can be clearly heard without issue are on average significantly shorter than those in which speakers are forced to keep repeating themselves due to the interference of background noise. Less time on a call can equal increased attention span and productivity for students and business executives alike.
- Better productivity. As focus increases, most call participants experience an increase in productivity. The reduction in background noise highlights the message at hand to better hold attention and facilitate later implementation of topics learned or discussed during the conference.
What Poly Products Feature Acoustic Fence Technology?Poly offers several products featuring Acoustic Fence technology, including:
- G40-T: This product is designed for small to medium sized rooms that utilize Microsoft Teams. This solution is popular among users because it largely facilitates a clutter-free experience that does not require an inconvenient pile of cables to facilitate communications.
- StudioP15: This personal video bar is known for its camera framing and noise blocking thanks to Acoustic Fence technology. The camera gives the speaker freedom to move and does not require them to stay still. Speakers feature acoustic suspension and microphones ensure that voices come through clearly. It works via a USB connection to a PC or Mac.
- Blackwire 8225: This convenient headset lets the speaker and the listener enjoy a distraction-free call and helps enhance speaker audio while minimizing background noise. It is also highly versatile with most popular voice platforms and features 180 degree pivoting speakers and an adjustable headband.
- SAVI 7300 Office Series: This wireless headset technology allows conversations to stay private and can be particularly helpful when handling sensitive information. It features 128-bit authentication and military grade encryption features.
- Poly Studio Bar: This premium USB video bar features clear conversation and simple USB connectivity that can be perfect for a huddle room. Its patented NoiseBlock technology helps eliminate distracting sounds and capture only the voices you want it to.